This brings us to the two manual, six rank Page Organ Company pipe organ in Holy Cross Catholic Church in Columbus, OH. This organ, built in 1928, was originally installed in the Fayette Theater located in Washington Court House, OH (see side bar photos). At an unknown date, likely in the mid-1940s, it was removed from the theater. In 1947 the pipe organ, complete with its fancy white horseshoe shaped console, was installed in Holy Family Catholic Church just west of downtown Columbus, OH. During the 1970s, the original console was replaced with a Klann organ console. In addition, the original Tibia rank was replaced with an Open Diapason rank, and the Vox Humana rank was replaced with a Violin Celeste rank.
In 1981 Holy Family purchased a new two manual, 25 rank Schantz pipe organ. The Page organ was then moved to Holy Cross and replaced the small Kilgen pipe organ in the church. The Page organ has served the musical needs of the parish since, and is maintained by Peebles-Herzog Pipe Organs.
Records are sketchy, but this is either the third or fourth pipe organ to vacate the organ chamber at Holy Cross. One pipe organ was destroyed in a fire in 1877, and the blower from a Kilgen pipe organ built in the mid to late 1920s, still sits in the bell tower.
The Fayette Theatre
The Fayette Theatre opened on April 30, 1928, just over a month after the Ohio Theatre in Columbus opened. The Fayette's slogan was "A Theatre Of Distinction", and like the Ohio, its architecture exhibited a bit of Spanish influence. The opening night program lists organist George Werner at the console of the Page "Old Master" Organ. It appears that the "Resident Organist" was actually Catherine Mitchell as her name is listed for all dates after the opening weekend. The theater changed ownership several times, and was eventually closed as a theater in 1977.
"Fayette County, Ohio"(M.T. Publishing Company, Inc., 2007), p. 28-29
"History of Fayette County, Ohio 1984" (Fayette County Genealogical Society, 1984), p. 29, 225
A large crowd gathers for the opening of the Fayette Theatre, Washington Court House, Ohio on April 30, 1928. Source: "Fayette County, Ohio"(M.T. Publishing Company, Inc., 2007), p. 28.
Photo of the Fayette Theatre taken by the web page author on March 3, 2010. Though the building has been modified, distinct features such as the Spanish style roof still exits. The red brick building on the far right also appears in the 1928 photo above.
|Stop List||Photos of the Pipes||Console Photos||Other Photos of the Organ||Holy Cross Catholic Church - Columbus, OH||Peebles-Herzog Pipe Organ Company||Lima Pipe Organ Company, Inc.|